awareness, link-ups

Secret Messages

secret messages

Hey everyone! I’m so excited to share the results of the #pfmessages project – you can read the original post about the project here if you’d like, but to summarize, I thought it would be cool to start a link-up of posts about the money-related messages that are often hidden inside literature, music, films, and popular culture.

All of the amazing contributions are listed below, with links. I hope you’ll check them out and leave comments on the posts if you feel so inspired. To me, one of the best things about blogging is the chance to communicate interactively with others about our experiences and ideas, and the comments sections are one great place to do that.

This wrap-up post is by no means intended as the end of #pfmessages. I really believe that this is an important topic to keep discussing because it can help us to understand how our thinking about money has evolved over the years and to identify the factors that have influenced—and continue to influence—our beliefs. So if you want to write a #pfmessages post now or anytime in the future, just let me know and I’ll be sure to retweet it!

All right, so without further ado, here are the #pfmessages posts in alphabetical order by first name:

• Alyssa at Generation YRA contributed a great discussion of the movie 10 Things I Hate About You (Remember that movie?? Flashback to 1999!) and what it has to say about money and high school archetypes, including analyses of each of the major characters, which you’ll appreciate and enjoy even if you haven’t seen the movie.
  • Penny at She Picks up Pennies wrote a two-part post about The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. These posts have a slightly different and very cool twist—Penny presents her teenage students’ thoughts on what the book has to say about money and other important issues. Check out Part 1 here and Part 2 here.
  • Thias at It Pays Dividends contributed a post about the television show The Middle—sounds like there are definitely some messages in this show that a lot of people would benefit from! (Also with commentary from guest blogger Albert Einstein.)
  • Vic at Dad is Cheap presented a deconstruction of the Disney film Beauty and the Beast that explains what’s actually going on underneath the surface—check it out if you want to find out who the real villain of the story is! (And all this time I thought I knew what that film was about…)

That’s it…for now! I really encourage you to take some time to check out any posts you haven’t read yet—and if you’d like, tweet this post so even more people can have the chance to check out the list!

Thanks so much to everyone for participating in this collective project/ experiment, especially during the busy holiday season. I loved reading all the posts and am so happy to be a part of this community.

See you in 2016!

• Reply Kalie (@pretendtobepoor) December 30, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Fun project! I was a little late to it but I have written a couple posts explaining the money messages in Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder:
    The Value of a (Half) Dollar
    The Best Black Friday Day is Freedom

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Ah, cool, thanks for sharing, Kalie! I have to admit that Farmer Boy was the only one in the series I didn’t read, I think because I was like, where are all the regular characters? I’ll definitely check out these posts though!

• Reply enancejividen December 30, 2015 at 9:20 AM

This was really fun Sarah! Thanks for getting it together.

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 30, 2015 at 5:01 PM

You’re welcome, Emily, and thanks for posting two awesome contributions! I really do need to check out Terry Pratchett…

• Reply Thias @It Pays Dividends December 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for putting this all together Sarah! It was fun to have a common theme between a bunch of bloggers. It is interesting to see people’s take on how personal finance is perceived in media and entertainment. Happy New Year!

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM

You’re very welcome, Thias, and thanks for participating! I had a lot of fun reading everyone’s posts. Happy New Year to you as well!

• Reply Harmony Smith (@CMK_Harmony) December 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I loved being a part of this project. It’s easy to see the blatant and ubiquitous consumerist messages in advertising, but going a little deeper to consider “secret messages” was quite enlightening.

Happy New Year!

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Yay, I’m glad you enjoyed it, Harmony! Yeah, I think this stuff is so important, and it’s only recently that I’ve begun to really think about it.
      Happy New Year to you as well!

• Reply middle_class December 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I love this idea. I did a post about the money messages from the classic “Good Earth” but I didn’t join in because it was an older post: I plan to do more because I do see money messages in many books, TV shows, and movies.

Oh, the Breaking Bad money issue is health insurance, not just life insurance. Even with coverage, co-pays for approved treatments can be very expensive!

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Cool, I’ll definitely check it out! And if you decide to do more and want to use the hashtag, definitely go for it! 🙂

• Reply lyssawindell December 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Sarah, this is SO cool!! Look at all the contributions people provided to #pfmessages! I can’t wait to dig into all of them. The Little Princess was also one of my favorite movies growing up! When I read Maggie’s contribution I was thrilled, especially since she tied it to colors (my mind was blown). I am enthralled with imagery that her post was great. Also, Penny’s contributions on The Outsiders was amazing – definitely one of my favorite books I read in middle school! Thanks for such a fantastic idea, now every time I watch a TV show/movie/listen to a song I create an analysis for #pfmessages. 🙂

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 31, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Yes, I’m so glad that everyone participated! In retrospect, the holiday season might not have been the ideal time to start a new project, but I’m so happy that so many people were still interested. Thanks for your awesome post! 🙂 I kind of want to watch that movie again now…

• Reply Vic @ Dad is Cheap December 31, 2015 at 2:59 AM

Thanks for getting this together Sarah! My posts mostly revolve around my life and daughter when it comes to money, so this was a welcome challenge to write something complete different. I hope I did well enough 🙂

We should have another challenge in the future! It was fun!

• Reply Sarah Noelle December 31, 2015 at 10:01 AM

haha, Vic, you DEFINITELY did well enough! I loved your post. And I really appreciate that everyone was willing to participate even in the busy holiday season (which was kind of a weird time to suggest a challenge, now that I think about it).

I’d love to do another challenge in the future; I’ll have to keep thinking about possible topics…hmmm… 🙂

• Reply Jennifer // Simply + Fiercely January 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM

I so wanted to participate but time has seriously gotten away from me! I wanted to write about the Box Car Children – did you ever read those stories! I think they were perhaps my earliest minimalist influences – they taught me how to have amazing adventures with found objects and little money. Such great books!

Great work putting this together and I can’t wait to read these all. Happy New Years to you too xx

• Reply Sarah Noelle January 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Oh my gosh, Jennifer, the Boxcar Children! Yes!!!! You should still totally do this if you feel inspired. I absolutely read those books over and over again — I’d totally forgotten about them until now. And they for sure had an impact on me too, in just the ways you mention. Thanks for reminding me about them. 🙂

• Reply Claudia @ Two Cup House January 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM

I used the break to catch up on all of these Secret Messages. I’m convinced that a new heroine needs to be invented, someone interested in entrepreneurship and self-sufficiency. Maybe our next project should be a children’s book.

• Reply Sarah Noelle January 3, 2016 at 9:17 PM

YES! There need to be more books like this, especially for young girls. I wish I had any idea how to write a children’s book! 🙂

• Reply Claudia @ Two Cup House January 3, 2016 at 9:21 PM

We can find someone. 🙂 Penny is interested, too!

• Reply Sarah Noelle January 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM